Direct Phone: 816.875.3313
Spencer has over 25 years of real estate-related experience through his work in the title insurance industry, as a real estate broker and having spent over 18 years as an attorney specializing in commercial real estate law with an emphasis on the zoning, development and financing of major commercial real estate projects including many with the aid of Tax Increment Financing (TIF), Transportation Development Districts (TDD), Community Improvement Districts (CID) and other public incentives.
During his career, Spencer has successfully closed over a billion dollars in commercial real estate acquisitions and financings in varied property classes including hotels, office buildings, shopping malls, apartment complexes, condominium projects and industrial warehouses and distribution centers. He has also represented many entities in matters relating to leasing, construction, and land use.
Spencer has served as lead counsel or a primary participant in several signature real estate development projects and major corporate headquarters projects over the past decade. Included among such projects are redevelopment of the Blue Ridge and Antioch Malls in eastern Kansas City and north Kansas City, respectively; historic redevelopment to create the New Longview project in Lee’s Summit; the ground up development of the Plaza Colonnade office building project near the Country Club Plaza; and numerous major projects in downtown Kansas City, Missouri including the President Hotel, Hotel Phillips, H&R Block World Headquarters and JE Dunn World Headquarters.
Previously, Spencer served as primary outside counsel to a publicly traded real estate investment trust that specializes in the ownership of industrial warehouse and distribution facilities leased to credit tenants such as Federal Express, Kellogg, and Caterpillar.
For fourteen years prior to forming Thomson Walker, LLC, Spencer was a partner in the Real Estate and Development Department of Husch Blackwell LLP. Spencer was also employed as an associate at Lathrop & Gage in Kansas City, Missouri.
Awards and Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2007-2019
- Chambers USA, 2007-2017
- Super Lawyers, 2007-2011
- Ingram’s “40 Under 40”, 2007
- Martindale-Hubbell, BV Distinguished® Peer Review Rated, 2016-2019
- The Civic Council of Greater Kansas City’s, Kansas City Tomorrow Leadership Development Program, 2008
- Former Chair, Liberty Missouri Housing Authority Board
- Former Chair, Clay County, Missouri Board of Tax Equalization
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Missouri Bar Association
- National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts (NAREIT)
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- Kansas City Regional Association of REALTORS (KCRAR)
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association (KCMBA)
- Missouri, 1993
- Kansas, 1995
- J.D., Washington University, St. Louis, 1993
- B.S.B.A., Rockhurst University, 1990